• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Kenyan Business Feed
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business
No Result
View All Result
Kenyan Business Feed
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Unclaimed cargo importers sought – Business Daily

Kenyan Business Feed by Kenyan Business Feed
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

[ad_1]

Table of Contents

Toggle
        • Shipping & Logistics
  • Unclaimed cargo importers sought
Shipping & Logistics

Unclaimed cargo importers sought

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 20:31


By LYNET IGADWAH

Containers at the port of Mombasa.
Containers at the port of Mombasa. FILE PHOTO | NMG 

The State is pursuing consolidators of 32 unclaimed containers stuck at various entry ports following a crackdown on illicit trade that started a year ago.

The multi-agency team on illicit trade told Parliament it is yet to establish the contents of the containers because the owners have not come forward.

The 32 are part of the 383 consignments of imported goods found packed in containers alongside counterfeits that were held at the port of Mombasa.

“It is now the consolidators that we are pursuing so we can bring this matter to a conclusion,” Wanyama Musiambu, who chairs the enforcement team told the National Assembly Trade, Industry and Co-operatives committee.

He said so far, the team had cleared 306 of the 383 containers which mostly belonged to small business traders in Nairobi. The 32 undeclared containers are mostly under consolidators that kept off when the crackdown begun.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations is holding 36 other containers whose consolidators are under investigation mostly for concealment.

“We have asked the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) that those found culpable be blacklisted and removed from this business,” he said.

The remaining nine containers are either unpaid for or are in the process of being cleared at the port.

The government team which draws representation from the KRA, Kenya Bureau of Standards, Anti-Counterfeit Agency, the National Environment Management Authority (Nema), Energy Regulatory Commission, Weights and Measures, among others, started work on May 11.

Its core mandate is to address illicit trade in the country, following complaints from traders that the local market is flooded with substandard, undervalued and counterfeit products.

President Uhuru Kenyatta through the National Treasury waived demurrage and storage charges for the small and medium traders who presented containers that they thought were not moving or being processed.

The one-off amnesty was applicable to goods that arrived in the country by June 30, 2018.

Following the amnesty, the multiagency team received particulars of 217 containers and another batch of 166, bringing the total to 383 containers.

Mr Musiambu did not give a timeline on when the all 383 containers will be cleared for release saying it depends solely on cooperation of the container owners.

[ad_2]

Source link

Kenyan Business Feed

Kenyan Business Feed

Recommended.

Here is what you need to know about tenders in Kenya

Here is what you need to know about tenders in Kenya

September 4, 2019
Relief for taxpayers as debt cost set to fall Sh174 billion

Relief for taxpayers as debt cost set to fall Sh174 billion

June 12, 2019

Subscribe.

Trending.

SportyBet Powers Vurugu 2: Celebrity Fights, Big Performances Set for Sarit Expo Center

SportyBet Powers Vurugu 2: Celebrity Fights, Big Performances Set for Sarit Expo Center

May 13, 2026
SportyBet Wins Marketing Campaign of the Year at the iGaming AFRIKA Awards 2026, Proving Pan-African Campaigns Can Lead the Continent

SportyBet Wins Marketing Campaign of the Year at the iGaming AFRIKA Awards 2026, Proving Pan-African Campaigns Can Lead the Continent

May 5, 2026
Fly 748.com Return Lifts Off as Maiden Flight Reconnects Kenya's Coast

Fly 748.com Return Lifts Off as Maiden Flight Reconnects Kenya’s Coast

May 2, 2026
Safaricom addresses My OneApp rollout challenges, apologising to users and moving to stabilise access across its digital platform.

Safaricom Addresses My OneApp Rollout Challenges

April 23, 2026
How Tullow KRA Ksh 23B Tax Dispute Exploded Into a Full-Blown Legal Fight

How Tullow KRA Ksh 23B Tax Dispute Exploded Into a Full-Blown Legal Fight

April 29, 2026
Kenyan Business Feed

We focus on news, analysis, and reports about Kenyan business, covering sectors like agriculture, finance, tourism, and technology.

Categories

  • African
  • Agribusiness
  • Courts
  • Education
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Manufacturing
  • NetWorths
  • News
  • Reports & Analysis
  • SLOT
  • SLOT BET 200
  • SLOT GACOR
  • SLOT ONLINE
  • Sugar Rush
  • World Business

Popular News

  • First look at the prison where El Chapo may live for the rest of his life

    First look at the prison where El Chapo may live for the rest of his life

    2157 shares
    Share 1040 Tweet 466
  • Sameer Africa CEO Sacked

    1804 shares
    Share 750 Tweet 439

Recent News

SportyBet Powers Vurugu 2: Celebrity Fights, Big Performances Set for Sarit Expo Center

SportyBet Powers Vurugu 2: Celebrity Fights, Big Performances Set for Sarit Expo Center

May 13, 2026
SportyBet Wins Marketing Campaign of the Year at the iGaming AFRIKA Awards 2026, Proving Pan-African Campaigns Can Lead the Continent

SportyBet Wins Marketing Campaign of the Year at the iGaming AFRIKA Awards 2026, Proving Pan-African Campaigns Can Lead the Continent

May 5, 2026
  • Home
  • African
  • News
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

© 2025 KBF

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

© 2025 KBF