• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Kenyan Business Feed
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business
No Result
View All Result
Kenyan Business Feed
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Turkish ship-builder silent on Sh1.8bn KFS ferries deal

Kenyan Business Feed by Kenyan Business Feed
Turkish ship-builder silent on Sh1.8bn KFS ferries deal
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Table of Contents

Toggle
        • Economy
  • Turkish ship-builder silent on Sh1.8bn KFS ferries deal
Economy

Turkish ship-builder silent on Sh1.8bn KFS ferries deal

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 20:50


By SAMWEL OWINO

MV Jambo
The first ferry — MV Jambo — was delivered in July, 2017. FILE PHOTO | NMG 

A Turkish ship-builder has snubbed the Auditor-General’s questions on how much it has received from the Kenya Ferry Services (KFS) for an undelivered vessel, amid queries on the Sh1.8 billion deal.

Auditor-General Edward Ouko says the Turkish supplier is yet to respond to a January 9, 2019, e-mail seeking confirmation of the exact amount the firm has received from KFS and the balance.

KFS management has failed to disclose full information about the stalled procurement of a Sh1.8 billion vessel from Turkey, with auditor saying it is yet to fully account for the payments.

“In light of the foregoing, it has not been possible to confirm the validity, accuracy and completeness of the building and supply of two new ferries at a cost of Sh1,519,379,614 paid to the contractor as at June 2018,” reads the audit report. Mr Ouko says KFS made a down payment of Sh598,023,000 to the localLY appointed agent of the Turkish firm in August 2015 but failed to withhold the six percent Value Added Tax (VAT) of Sh35,881,600 and another 20 percent withholding tax totalling Sh119,604,600.

The Auditor General faulted KFS for failing to adhere to professional advice from Kenya Revenue Authority to subject payments to the above taxes.

The report says that despite a signed agreement dated June 27,2015 indicating that the new ferries were to be delivered after 17 months, they had not been fully delivered during the conduct of this audit in November last year.

The KFS entered into a contract with a Turkish builder to build and supply two ferries at a total cost of Sh1.8 billion.

The first ferry — MV Jambo — was delivered in July, 2017, but the second one -— MV Safari — is yet to come. The firm was to deliver the ferries after 17 months or by November 2016, according to the contract signed on June 27, 2015.

The Parliamentary Transport Committee earlier censured managing director Bakari Gowa after he failed to disclose the amount of money paid to the manufacturer of the stalled ferry.


Kenyan Business Feed is the top Kenyan Business Blog. We share news from Kenya and across the region. To contact us with any alert, please email us to [email protected]
Kenyan Business Feed

Kenyan Business Feed

Recommended.

How we run our 2,700 pig empire

May 4, 2019

EAC states waver on a freely convertible currency regime

May 20, 2019

Subscribe.

Trending.

Tourism CS Rebecca Miano announces new measures at Maasai Mara, including ranger deployments, clearer signage, and public education following a viral tourist incident.

Government Tightens Maasai Mara Rules After Viral Tourist Clip

August 26, 2025
Safaricom launches B Live, a first of its kind service allowing customers to buy internet access by the hour, offering flexible one hour three hour and six hour bundles for students creators and professionals.

Safaricom Expands Digital Options with Innovative B Live Product That Adapts to Different Usage Habits

August 21, 2025

Co-op Bank Empowers Over 249,000 Kenyan MSMEs with Loans and Training

August 21, 2025

Student Leaders Slam HELB and Ministry Over University Funding Delays

August 1, 2025
Tourism CS Rebecca Miano on Tuesday convened coastal public-private stakeholders in Mombasa to accelerate Kenya’s MICE sector growth, announcing progress on re-establishing the Kenya National Convention Bureau and urging youth-led innovation in tourism.

Kenya Ramps Up MICE Sector Reforms as CS Miano Confirms Convention Bureau Revival

July 1, 2025
Kenyan Business Feed

We focus on news, analysis, and reports about Kenyan business, covering sectors like agriculture, finance, tourism, and technology.

Categories

  • African
  • Agribusiness
  • Courts
  • Education
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Manufacturing
  • NetWorths
  • News
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

Popular News

  • First look at the prison where El Chapo may live for the rest of his life

    First look at the prison where El Chapo may live for the rest of his life

    2157 shares
    Share 1040 Tweet 466
  • Sameer Africa CEO Sacked

    1804 shares
    Share 750 Tweet 439

Recent News

Tourism CS Rebecca Miano announces new measures at Maasai Mara, including ranger deployments, clearer signage, and public education following a viral tourist incident.

Government Tightens Maasai Mara Rules After Viral Tourist Clip

August 26, 2025

Co-op Bank Empowers Over 249,000 Kenyan MSMEs with Loans and Training

August 21, 2025
  • Home
  • African
  • News
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

© 2025 KBF

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

© 2025 KBF