Tuesday, February 11, 2020, has been declared a public holiday in honour of the late Moi.
Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua has said this will allow citizens to attend service at Nyayo Stadium.
The same was relayed through a special Gazette Issue, with the Cabinet Secretary for Interior Co-ordination of National Government Fred Matiang’i saying the holiday will accord all Kenyans the opportunity to attend the National Memorial Service in honour of the life of the late Moi.
Moi who served as Kenya’s second president for 24 years succumbed to a long illness on Tuesday at the Nairobi Hospital.
He will be interred at his Kabarak home on Wednesday, February 12 and will be accorded a State Funeral, with all appropriate Civilian and Full Military Honours being rendered and observed
Here is the breakdown of the activities between now and the day Moi will be laid to rest:
- To allow the nation to reflect on the late President Moi’s achievements, all Kenyans will be accorded an opportunity to participate in the public viewing of the body.
- The body of the late Mzee Moi will lie in parliament on Saturday, February 8, 2020, to Monday, February 10, 2020.
- President Uhuru Kenyatta will on Saturday lead the nation in viewing the body.
- To enable every Kenyan to participate in the celebration of the life of the late President Moi, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i has declared February 11, 2020, a public holiday.
- The former Head of State will be accorded full military ceremonial honours including a 19-gun-salute.
- Mzee Moi will be interred at his Kabarak Home on Wednesday, February 12, 2020.
- All Kenyans have been encouraged to participate in the celebrations and to honour the legacy of Mzee Moi.
- A full list of the attendees of the burial will be released in due course.
- Kenyans have been encouraged to plant a tree in remembrance of Mzee Moi.
- All government officials are expected to participate in the State Funeral.
- The events will be live on TV.
Kenyan Business Feed is the top Kenyan Business Blog. We share news from Kenya and across the region. To contact us with any alert, please email us to [email protected]