Samsung’s Galaxy Fold was one foldable phone that was supposed to turn around the smartphone design forever. All that disappeared into thin air as reviewers found multiple egregious durability issues with the foldable smartphone.
Samsung’s CEO admitted that the foldable smartphone was pushed before it was absolutely ready to hit the market, especially with the screen problems.
Samsung is hoping its highly anticipated foldable phone will revive flagging smartphone sales but its rollout has been hampered by defects in samples reported in April.
Samsung said in a statement it had made improvements to the galaxy fold and was conducting final tests. Changes included strengthening hinges which early reviewers had found to be problematic.
The Galaxy fold is hailed as the future and Huawei is also working on its foldable handset, The Mate X which is expected to go on sale in September.
To make the Samsung Galaxy Fold durable, here are some key changes as told by Samsung which address all the biggest complaints we heard from early impressions.
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience.
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.