“Following the tragic accident that occurred at the Precious Talent School in Ngando Ward, Nairobi County on Monday, September 23, 2019 resulting in the death of eight (8) pupils and several injured, I assured Nairobi residents that as the Governor, I will not leave any stone unturned, until we reverse the effects of the impunity that was spearheaded by a few rogue officials within the Urban Planning Department.”
I am convinced beyond doubt that drastic measures have to be taken to reverse the effects of years of flouting Physical Planning Regulations and restore order and sanity, before illegal structures claim more lives as has repeatedly happened before.
Given the foregoing, I have, therefore, suspended the following Nairobi City County Government officials with immediate effect, to facilitate impartial investigations that have commenced into this unfortunate incident and the conclusion of the ongoing comprehensive systems audit in the Urban Planning Department:
- Charles Kerich, the current County Executive Committee Member (CECM) for Finance and Economic Planning, who is the immediate former CECM for Lands and Urban Planning
- Mohammed Dagane – CECM Health (responsible for general public health and safety)
- Justus Kathenge, suspended County Chief Officer for Urban Planning (to continue in suspension)
- Jusper Ndeke, Director Planning Compliance and Enforcement
- Dominic Mutegi, Development Management Director
- Ochanda Ondari Fredrick, Assistant Director Enforcement
- Ruth Waruguru, Director Urban Planning
- Thomas Dudi, Assistant Director Planning
- Simon Onyango, Development Officer (regularization of buildings/approval of architectural plans)
- Alex Mucheru, Development Control (overseeing approvals of buildings and schools on behalf of public health and safety)
- Mackline Saitera, Development Control (approval of building plans and school inspection)
- Edna Guantai, In-charge of approval of public buildings and schools on behalf of public health
- Joyce Kyengo, Dagoretti South Sub-County Administrator
- Lucy Wairimu Munyika, Dagoretti South Sub-County Commander.
- Sylivia Mwikali Nthinga, Dagoretti South Sub-County Planning Officer
- Okal Kennedy, Ngando Ward Administrator
To ensure minimal disruption of services at City Hall, I have made the following appointments that take effect immediately:
- Pauline Kahiga as the Acting CECM Finance and Economic Planning
- Veska Kangogo as the Acting CECM Health
As I have stated countless times before, my administration shall not condone or tolerate any form of corruption, incompetence or lethargy that may jeopardize the lives of, or negatively affect service delivery to, Nairobi residents in any way whatsoever.
Every official in my administration must be ready to take personal responsibility for their sector and work, and be prepared to carry their own cross just as I am always ready to carry my own and assume overall responsibility as County CEO.
Kenyan Business Feed is the top Kenyan Business Blog. We share news from Kenya and across the region. To contact us with any alert, please email us to [email protected]