• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Kenyan Business Feed
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business
No Result
View All Result
Kenyan Business Feed
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Malala, Echesa released from custody, to appear in court over Matungu murders

Kenyan Business Feed by Kenyan Business Feed
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

[ad_1]

– The two politicians were arrested on May 17 in connection with brutal murders in Matungu, Kakamega county

– Several other suspects including Matungu MP Justus Murunga were also put in police custody over the murders

– Matungu has experienced a wave of mysterious night attacks which left over 10 civilians dead and many others wounded

– Politicians were suspected to be behind the rampant killings which saw the government beef up security in the area

– Malala and Echesa are expected to appear in court on Monday despite their release and even as investigations continue

Kakamega senator Cleophas Malala and former Sport Cabinet Secretary (CS) Rashid Echesa have been released from police custody.

This was after the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji directed the two suspects who were arrested in connection with the Matungu killings be set free with immediate effect.

READ ALSO: Kakamega Senator Cleophas Malala, ex-CS Echesa arrested over Matungu killings

Matungu killings: Malala, Echesa released from police custody, directed to appear in court

Kakamega senator Cleophas Malala and former Sport Cabinet Secretary (CS) Rashid Echesa were arrested on Friday, May 17, over the Matungu killings and have been in custody ever since. Photo: TUKO.
Source: Original

READ ALSO : Nyamira: Serikali ya Kaunti yagundua wafanyakazi hewa 1000 katika sajili yake

In a statement sent to newsrooms on Sunday, May 19, evening, Haji said he held a discussion with the Inspector General (IG) of Police Hillary Mutyambai and came to the conclusion that investigations was at advance stage but incomplete.

“The evidence gathered so far does not meet the requisite threshold. Consequently, I have directed the DCI through the IG to have the Matungu brutal killings investigated thoroughly and the resultant files be submitted to my office for perusal and direction.

In the meantime, I further directed that the suspects be forthwith released on P52 pending the said investigations and report back to police tomorrow ( Monday, May 20) at 10am without fail,” the statement read.

READ ALSO: Suspect linked to Murang’a prison warder’s death confesses he was responsible, blames it on bhang

Malala and Echesa were arrested on May 17 and taken in for questioning over the deadly attacks by unknown assailants in Matungu.

Also arrested was Mayoni MCA Libinus Oduor whose ward was the epicentre of the chilling and bloody attacks.

Matungu had experienced a wave of mysterious night assaults in the recent months but the situation appeared to had escalated in the beginning of May 2019.

READ ALSO: Several feared dead after goons fire shots at Kakamega senator’s convoy in Mumias

Police records showed at least 13 people were killed while over 30 residents sustained various body injuries.

Top government officials led by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i toured the volatile village on May 16 and ordered deployment of dreaded GSU officers.

Matiang’i warned perpetrators to voluntarily surrender because they would eventually be smoked out.

Do you have a life-changing story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected] or WhatsApp: 0732482690 and Telegram: Tuko news.

Huduma Namba deadline day rush – On Tuko TV

Source: Tuko



[ad_2]

Source link


Kenyan Business Feed is the top Kenyan Business Blog. We share news from Kenya and across the region. To contact us with any alert, please email us to [email protected]
Kenyan Business Feed

Kenyan Business Feed

Recommended.

Sh78bn in surplus cash surrendered by State corporations

Sh78bn in surplus cash surrendered by State corporations

February 3, 2020

How the students have benefited from Centum PLC

July 1, 2022

Subscribe.

Trending.

Student Leaders Slam HELB and Ministry Over University Funding Delays

August 1, 2025
Tourism CS Rebecca Miano announces new measures at Maasai Mara, including ranger deployments, clearer signage, and public education following a viral tourist incident.

Government Tightens Maasai Mara Rules After Viral Tourist Clip

August 26, 2025
Safaricom launches B Live, a first of its kind service allowing customers to buy internet access by the hour, offering flexible one hour three hour and six hour bundles for students creators and professionals.

Safaricom Expands Digital Options with Innovative B Live Product That Adapts to Different Usage Habits

August 21, 2025

Co-op Bank Empowers Over 249,000 Kenyan MSMEs with Loans and Training

August 21, 2025
Tourism CS Rebecca Miano on Tuesday convened coastal public-private stakeholders in Mombasa to accelerate Kenya’s MICE sector growth, announcing progress on re-establishing the Kenya National Convention Bureau and urging youth-led innovation in tourism.

Kenya Ramps Up MICE Sector Reforms as CS Miano Confirms Convention Bureau Revival

July 1, 2025
Kenyan Business Feed

We focus on news, analysis, and reports about Kenyan business, covering sectors like agriculture, finance, tourism, and technology.

Categories

  • African
  • Agribusiness
  • Courts
  • Education
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Manufacturing
  • NetWorths
  • News
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

Popular News

  • First look at the prison where El Chapo may live for the rest of his life

    First look at the prison where El Chapo may live for the rest of his life

    2157 shares
    Share 1040 Tweet 466
  • Sameer Africa CEO Sacked

    1804 shares
    Share 750 Tweet 439

Recent News

Tourism CS Rebecca Miano announces new measures at Maasai Mara, including ranger deployments, clearer signage, and public education following a viral tourist incident.

Government Tightens Maasai Mara Rules After Viral Tourist Clip

August 26, 2025

Co-op Bank Empowers Over 249,000 Kenyan MSMEs with Loans and Training

August 21, 2025
  • Home
  • African
  • News
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

© 2025 KBF

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • African
  • News
    • Agribusiness
    • Courts
    • Hospitality
    • Manufacturing
  • Education
  • Health
  • Reports & Analysis
  • World Business

© 2025 KBF