On Tuesday, Kenya, Ethiopia and South Sudan affirmed their Committment to the LAPSSET program.
The three states issued a joint communique which was witnessed by Rt. Hon. Raila Amollo Odinga, AU’s High Representative for Infrastructure Development.
The communique among others decisions resolved to establish a representative Steering Committee composed of representatives from the three countries and other Africa-wide governance bodies.
The 9 resolutions of the communique were:
1. Re-affirm our commitment to support the revitalization of the LAPSSET Corridor program.
2. Agree to initiate dialogue between LAPSSET footprint States towards a shared approach and establishment of an institutional framework/mechanism for the implementation of the LAPSSET Corridor Program.
3. Support establishment of a representative Steering Committee composed of representatives from The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, The Republic of Kenya, The Republic of South Sudan, UNECA, AUDA-NEPAD and AFDB to institute an umbrella body to coordinate the implementation of the corridor.
4. Support the implementation of the proposed roadmap towards the establishment of the Umbrella body.
5. We have agreed to the establishment of an institutional framework/mechanism and establishment of the umbrella body.
6. We mandate the existing representative Technical Committee supporting the initiative to continue the dialogue and engagement to enable the implementation of the roadmap.
7. We express our sincere gratitude to the Technical Committee of experts for the work done to date.
8. We hereby, express our gratitude to United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, The AU-High Representative for Infrastructure Development in Africa, the Rt. Hon. Raila Odinga, Former Prime Minister of the Republic of Kenya, NEPAD -APRM Kenya for their excellent support in facilitation of this meeting.
9. Call upon UNECA, AUDA-NEPAD, COMESA, IGAD, AFDB, NEPAD-APRM and other partners to continue providing support to the LAPSSET Corridor initiatives.
Kenyan Business Feed is the top Kenyan Business Blog. We share news from Kenya and across the region. To contact us with any alert, please email us to firstname.lastname@example.org